Things that set Ultima Online apart form every other game

Tell us what you think would make the game awesome.

Things that set Ultima Online apart form every other game

Postby Argitoth » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:40 am

It seems like the ultimate goal for this game is an MMO or at least a strong multiplayer element. The more I think about it, the more I see Ultima Online: Renaissance as a good place for Utumno to borrow ideas. The big thing that set Ultima Online apart from every other game is its non-gameplay elements; things that don't affect the outcome of your character nor the environment.

1. Books: You could buy and read stories, you could write in them, leave messages, leave instructions, etc; just one of many non-gameplay element that added depth.

2. Sailing: After a hard day's work of mining cliff sides from our ship, my friend and I would set out chairs and tables and surround the ship's deck with lanterns and share an evening dinner out at sea.

3. Games: Chess, Checkers, Dice; Dice were helpful in making decisions.

4. Clothes: I used to have different outfits for different occasions. Dyeing my clothing was especially important as well.

I understand that because of the graphics engine, some of these ideas may be hard to fully implement. I'll add more as they come to me.
Argitoth
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Things that set Ultima Online apart form every other game

Postby MedicineStorm » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:48 am

I think we can already incorporate all the features you have recommended here except for #2. Sailing is a workable idea, but the images we have right now for the sailboats are only 32 pixels across. Not a lot of room for chairs and lanterns.

I like the random messages you could leave in books for others to find. Side games like chess or a card game is something we will just HAVE to include. Clothing and coloring have already been demonstrated in a proof of concept application we did a few months ago. It turned out pretty good considering your character is only 36 pixels tall. turned out to be over 88 million fashionable outfits, yay!
MedicineStorm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Things that set Ultima Online apart form every other game

Postby Ventor24 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:48 am

Card games? Why would we need that? Just for kicks and grins?
Ventor24--A Creator Created by the Creator of the World Made to Create things...
Ventor24
Creator
Creator

Return to Suggestions and Ideas