Maps to help make other Maps?

Tell us what you think would make the game awesome.

Maps to help make other Maps?

Postby Bigkahoonaberger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 pm

i think some of us could work on making a map that has all the tunnels and rooms already built and in separate pieces so we could just download the template for, say, Dungeons, have it open at the same time as the map u want to make and just copy and paste the passageways and rooms in to place. this could go for an above ground theme too. What do you guys think? Too much trouble?
Bigkahoonaberger
Developer
Developer

Re: Maps to help make other Maps?

Postby Whiligo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Isn't the map editor being worked on for something like this. Like a line tool that makes a wall, I don't know if there could be a line tool that makes a tunnel too.
Whiligo
Developer
Developer

Postby MedicineStorm » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Yes and no. The map editor will, in the distant future, have tools that help fill in the spaces and randomize the look a bit. However, what BigKahoona is referring to is making some map templates that have segments of tiles that may be common and reusable throughout several maps: A Cave themed template will have a basic room and some passages with corners, etc. A forest template will have some tree groups, hills, and some river segments.

From what I understand, the purpose is to make it easier to make maps with these template maps by copy-n-pasting the template segments together. BigKahoona, is that correct?
MedicineStorm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bigkahoonaberger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:02 am

yes just a simple map, but it wouldnt look like a map just separate pieces in sizes 2 to 24 tiles. tiles that are already preassembled in small groups to make the maps easier to build in sections, instead of tile by tile. yes there is a line tool but it can only repeat the same exact tile over and over. Whiligo you should play with the Map Editor a little more and then i think you will see the value of some Standard Map templates which we can all steal from. Also this would make some very difficult to put together derived tiles available so everyone can see how to play with the transparency settings and rgb values in combination with the layers to achieve the desired effect. We can all learn from each other the different ways to make the game look good. I even was able to show Medicine Storm a way to make the walls of a dungeon look more interesting, and he MADE the map editor. So everybody see if you can come up with some new type of template; space, forest, desert, plains, meadow, underground with lava, underground with water, mountains, asteroids, moon, or anything you can think of. For that matter if you guys just make one of each of these and more then we can just choose one of each to make into a template map. this will potentially increase the production rate of map making by about two fold in my estimation. that seems worth it to me.
Bigkahoonaberger
Developer
Developer

Return to Suggestions and Ideas