Greetings/Names/Language

Anything for which there is currenty no forum designated, or anything that does not fall into any other forum category.

Greetings/Names/Language

Postby JackMist » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 am

Hello everyone!

I'm very pleased to have been brought on board and I look forward to working with all of you closely.

Was wondering if we had a general theme for names yet? Are there going to be different themes for each region? For example, going for a more Nordic theme for snowy areas? An amazonian theme for jungle areas? etc.

More specifically, I'm curious about any names (of places, characters, objects, etc.) that have been discussed and maybe if that name has any specific meaning and/or any back story. For example, The Sword That Cannot Be Touched, why can't it be touched?

I haven't had a chance to browse the whole forum yet so post a link if this is discussed elsewhere.

Thanks Guys!

Jack Mist
JackMist
Creator
Creator

Re: Greetings/Names/Language

Postby MedicineStorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 am

Welcome!

We probably will have thematic naming that corresponds to region, but nothing difinitive has been outlined for naming schemes. The only thing that is firm is "No tolkien-esque confusing names!" Like Aowin, Arawen, Aragorn. Bifur Bofur Bomber, Dwailen Bailen, Sauron Sarumon, Thorin son of Thráin son of Thrór. Nor names like Drzzt D'rdn, Mlfdr Lry'vyml'n, and Gývñòræç

Not to say we don't like fantastical names, we just don't like ones that are impossible to pronounce or so similar to other names in the story that you can never tell who is being talked about. Nordic names are generally fine as long as the pronunciation and uniqueness of the name is relatively obvious. Using famous nordic names helps; words like Freyja, Heimdallr, Ragnarök, Ymir, and Yggdrasil have some goofy pronunciation rules, but are generally well-known enough to not cause problems. Names like Njörðr and terms like Seiðr are kinda pushing it, though.

'm curious about any names (of places, characters, objects, etc.) that have been discussed and maybe if that name has any specific meaning and/or any back story. For example, The Sword That Cannot Be Touched, why can't it be touched?
There are a few things that have some backstory, but not much is solidified at this point. Pretty fluid still. Aside from some character names, the biggest one is Shekhinite, which is discussed in the Story thread, so you'll see that as soon as you are promoted.

Speaking of... JackMist, during the recent impromptu Coffee Session on 6/28/2014, you were nominated for promotion to the rank of Creator.

Can you affirm you will not redistribute sensitive or confidential information about this project? Are you passionate about contributing to the success of this project? If so, you will be promoted as soon as you reply to this topic stating so. Once you are promoted to the rank of Creator, you will have access to the Development forums, additional development materials in the Downloads section, and access to read, edit, and create pages in the wiki. (However, the wiki authentication system is still a work-in-progress. You may need to perform an additional verification step for access to the wiki page.)
MedicineStorm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackMist » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:21 pm

elcome!

We probably will have thematic naming that corresponds to region, but nothing difinitive has been outlined for naming schemes. The only thing that is firm is "No tolkien-esque confusing names!" Like Aowin, Arawen, Aragorn. Bifur Bofur Bomber, Dwailen Bailen, Sauron Sarumon, Thorin son of Thráin son of Thrór. Nor names like Drzzt D'rdn, Mlfdr Lry'vyml'n, and Gývñòræç

Not to say we don't like fantastical names, we just don't like ones that are impossible to pronounce or so similar to other names in the story that you can never tell who is being talked about. Nordic names are generally fine as long as the pronunciation and uniqueness of the name is relatively obvious. Using famous nordic names helps; words like Freyja, Heimdallr, Ragnarök, Ymir, and Yggdrasil have some goofy pronunciation rules, but are generally well-known enough to not cause problems. Names like Njörðr and terms like Seiðr are kinda pushing it, though.

'm curious about any names (of places, characters, objects, etc.) that have been discussed and maybe if that name has any specific meaning and/or any back story. For example, The Sword That Cannot Be Touched, why can't it be touched?
There are a few things that have some backstory, but not much is solidified at this point. Pretty fluid still. Aside from some character names, the biggest one is Shekhinite, which is discussed in the Story thread, so you'll see that as soon as you are promoted.

Cool, I'm open to ideas if they come up. I heard mention of an annoying clown being integrated but no name was given...

peaking of... JackMist, during the recent impromptu Coffee Session on 6/28/2014, you were nominated for promotion to the rank of Creator.

Can you affirm you will not redistribute sensitive or confidential information about this project? Are you passionate about contributing to the success of this project? If so, you will be promoted as soon as you reply to this topic stating so. Once you are promoted to the rank of Creator, you will have access to the Development forums, additional development materials in the Downloads section, and access to read, edit, and create pages in the wiki. (However, the wiki authentication system is still a work-in-progress. You may need to perform an additional verification step for access to the wiki page.)

Thank you, sir. I do hereby affirm to "keep it secret, keep it safe" so to speak and my passion will "burn with the intensity of a thousand suns" so to speak.
JackMist
Creator
Creator

Postby CouncilOfElders » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:03 am

JackMist has been promoted. All permissions are effective immediately.
CouncilOfElders

Return to Off-topic discussions